There is something especially exciting about going to my blog to see if anyone has posted anything. It's more exciting than opening my email, more than getting an unexpected phone call. I think it harkens to the childhood thrill of the treasure box in the tree trunk. That mythical treasure trove, immortalized in "To Kill a Mockingbird", loomed large in my childhood.. I had a cigar box that was filled with private valuables that I buried under the forsythia bush in the front yard. I dug it up regularly one summer, to make sure that no one had raided it and to count my loot, which included an old broken watch, some candy cigarettes which quickly got moldy, and a green "emerald" earring. One day, I brushed aside the dirt and opened to box to discover that a new treasure had been added! It was a coin that looked ancient, in fact it had a Roman emperor's face on it and was uneven around the edges. Imagine my excitement, mixed with the terrible realization that someone had found my hidey hole. Yet instead of stealing the items in the box, that someone had added a priceless relic. It never happened again, but I always hoped it would. I took the coin to a dealer only to find out it was a replica that had once come in a cereal box. But the twinges of cynicism that came as a result never quelled completely the hope that someone is out there watching and waiting to deposit a treasure, when I least expect it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment