Ode to food

This time of year, it seems appropriate to make a little list of foods that I love.
  • Pie. Especially the fruity ones. Pumpkin pie is great, but it is better with a home-baked crust. I believe if I had nothing better to do, I could be the president of the Pie Booster Club, the people who promote pie-eating around the world. If I could be a taster.
  • Coffee with chocolate soy milk in it. and a little sugar. Is that food? I guess the soy makes it so.
  • Popcorn. Air-popped, not microwaved, so that I can just put a little salt and butter on it, not too much. I remember the first popcorn popper I ever owned. It looked like a big electric wok, with a yellow plastic dome on top that doubled as a bowl. It was my most prized possession during my freshman year of college. In my last year of college, when I had my own apartment with a kitchen, but no idea of how to cook anything, I went through a phase of eating only popcorn and broccoli. I seem to remember making a broccoli casserole with popcorn on top (pre-popped), and it got very soggy.
  • Soup, but not ones that are tomoto-based. Once I wouldn't eat tomato soup at lunch and mom made me eat it later, again and again, until I finished it. Cold. That trauma keeps me from enjoying tomato soup or any reddish soup. But just to show you that I may have invented that traumatic memory, I do like cold (tomato) gazpacho!
  • I like to pick turkey off the carcass and eat it warm. Sliced and on my plate is not nearly as good. With cranberries that I grind up with oranges and a little sugar.
  • Did I mention pie?

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment