One World

During this season of politics, I have been thinking a lot about what I believe, and about the experiences in my life that helped formed my basic belief system. If I have to sum up my world view in a phrase, it would be "we are all one global family". Early on in my life, I was exposed to foreign students in my home and my community. I learned first-hand that language and cultural differences were just window-dressing - in fact, we are all the same underneath. We all love, laugh, cry and share the same set of emotions, no matter where we are from. We have more in common than not. From as early as I can remember, my desire was to travel, to re-affirm this belief, to spread the news.

I went on to learn languages and to travel a great deal. My experiences abroad and at home only confirmed and strengthened my belief. I grew to have a great deal of respect for diplomats and for arbitrators. Their job is so delicate and immense, because despite the truth of our similarities, we humans insist upon ferreting out the differences between us. Diplomacy and tact are two virtues that I most value in others. I believe that the best work that can be done involves bringing two warring parties to a truce. I love reading about treaty and alliance building.

My dislike of the Bush administration mainly stems from their obvious disregard for diplomacy. The dismissal of nuclear and environmental treaties, the dismissive attitude towards the United Nations representatives, the pre-emptive strike in Iraq.. all of these things, and more, are in direct conflict with what I hold dear.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment