On the edge of day

For a while, I had trouble sleeping late in the summer. I thought it was because the sun would peep over the horizon and call to me, a morning person. I couldn't bear to miss any daylight and would awaken and rise, no matter how early. But these days, I certainly can't blame the sun for waking me, as we cross the dark passage of winter solstice. It just seems like I don't need all that sleep that I used to. My brain awakes before I do, solving databases puzzles and memorizing new song lyrics. As my eyes open and I turn over, I find all sorts of mental processes dancing in front of me on the bedspread. I might as well get up and join them.

This morning, I woke at 4:15 and lay in bed for a while to sort it all out. When the creative thoughts started to turn into worries, I got up and went into the office, where I had some fun making decorations for our christmas stockings. This is a tradition that I have carried on.. each year, there is something on the sock that represents an event of the year past. Cutting images out in felt turns out to be sort of clumsy work that my mother was much more adept at than I. However, felt comes in more colors than it used to, and that helps.

Now I've moved on to coffee and blogging. The garbage collectors have come and gone, and the sun is still hiding below the edge of the world.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment