My first job was working at Murphy's 5 and 10. I was 16 and worked mostly at the candy counter, although I also helped stock in other departments. I felt quite important standing in back of the counter looking out over the candy bins and making change. We also sold popcorn out of a machine like the ones in movie theaters. I loved making the popcorn. Also required were endless trips up and down the rows staighting all the items after the customers moved them. It was very boring since there were not many customers. I think I worked on Friday nights and Saturdays.I remember a manicure kit with many little tools that I coveted, but did not feel I could afford. Quite often I sampled the candy if no one was around. The store had a certain smell that I can still recall and seemed dark in contrast the bright light coming in the front windows from the street. I had a great view of anyone who was was walking up and down. This was important since one of the main entertainments in LeRoy was watching who was going where.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment