From Phoenix

I write this from a fancy suite (I got upgraded) at the Marriott Desert Ridge in Scottsdale, AZ, which really is just part of the sizzling sprawl that is Phoenix. It's 10:30pm, but the heat continues outside. It's not the heat of the day that is shocking to us from the coast: it's the nighttime temperature. We exited a restaurant and I had the distinct impression that a giant truck or furnace had been emitting waves of high-intensity heat into the parking lot just before we came out. It couldn't possibly be natural! Back at the hotel, I decided on a dip in the pool, and discovered that the water is actually warmer than the air. None of the pools were deeper than 4 feet, so I guess they just simmer all day and retain that heat (it must be above body temp) all night long. Well, I did feel slightly cooler after getting out of the water.

The far-off lightening of the Baja monsoon made dramatic silhouettes of the desert mountains.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment