It's almost time for my annual trip to mecca, or as some call it, the regional contest stage. Every year since 1986, I have donned the outfit, fluffed the hair, made up my face, practiced the songs, learned the choreography, bonded with the quartet, focused on the prize, and gone up there in front of four judges. Why do I do it? It's true that every year is more ... something... than the last. Some foursomes are more fun. Some years it's all about just showing up. Some years it's a big buildup for an even bigger disappointment when we don't put on stage what we have been capable of singing.

I look back at all the time and money spent on these events. I don't mind one bit. Every single time I have gone, I've learned something about myself and about someone else. I love the stage lights and the glamour. The applause and the people who tell me I've touched them with music.

This year, I feel so fortunate to be singing with Donna, Tina and Debbie. I love our sound and I love the energy we make when singing together. I think the judges will love it, too. I can't believe the journey I've made with my own voice this year, when I was beginning to think I had travelled as far as I could go. I'm lucky to have been coached by Jim Casey, Martha, Jan, Jim Arns and Sharon Babb. Each one gave us some pearls of wisdom that somehow have made a difference. Today at rehearsal, we were all talking about how suddenly things that we have been hearing for years are "clicking" and making more sense. I don't consider myself a slow learner, but it's interesting how much energy you can spend chasing the wrong things.

ON Q ROCKS!!


« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment