Happy New Year

Rang in the new year in San Francisco at a artsy party in a 16-room south-of-Market mansion. We did our best to make as much noise as possible (this must be related to reveille - see my post of 12.26) as the host counted down the last seconds of the year on a huge bus station clock that was on the wall in the stairwell.

We met someone named Freddy, who is a charming man who was wearing a coin around his neck. Dan asked him about it, and he told his story of finding this 2,300 year old relic in a store 30 years or so ago, and buying it for $500, a fortune to him at the time. He always has loved Alexander the Great, and his face adorns the coin. Now the coin is worth thousands, and of course he would never ever part with it. It reminded me of a coin that I once (see June 16th blog) found under the forsythia bush. A coin dealer told me that my coin was a cereal box replica - and now, I've seen the original! Upon coming home from the party, I found the coin and indeed it is identical. What a coincidence! a wonderful way to make a new connection with someone.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment