Seems like I see or hear of interesting things every day, but don't always get around to typing them up here. Instead I forward the email onwards, or just think about it a lot...

Saw they are selling Segways on amazon.com. Bob wants one for xmas.. (hint for Martha!!) But know ahead of time that they are not shipping until March. I think that they are not yet completely legal in California. For some reason, there is a movement to keep them off the sidewalks. I heard on the radio this morning that over 700 pedestrians were killed in California this year... not by Segways, but by cars or busses. I can't imagine that Segways will increase that number by much. Most of the deaths are at intersections without sidewalks.

We had a good discussion at lunch today (my book club met) about the book "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. The voice of the book is a young girl who has been raped and murdered. Some readers found the family's grief depressing, others were saddened by what happened to the girl. I found it depressing for a different reason - that the girl is supposedly in "heaven", looking down at the life that goes on without her. She is so stuck - she can't let go, she can't move on. Her heaven seemed like hell to me. Eventually she has (perhaps) some impact on the characters below, but did she really? or was it a fantasy?

Despite the fact that we found it sad, overall as we discussed it, I realized that it was a better book than I thought. Either that or our book club members are so interesting that almost any book we read could bring about some impassioned discussion.

Rick Mead sent me a book suggestion that I passed on to the club: The Botany of Desire, a plant's-eye view of humanity. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Take a look at Tate in Space
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment