What if I approached this blog as I once did letter writing? What if I wrote this blog as if I were describing a foreign country to someone I love who is far far away? Would every mundane activity take on a more exotic feel? And isn't everyone else really in a foreign country, when you think about it? What do I know about living in Connecticut? taking care of grandma? being in someone else's skin?


I guess that's what's called creative writing or journalism. I am inspired to try to make my everyday life more compelling to me by at least IMAGINING that I'm going to write about it, even if I don't find the time or words to actually do so. Do you suppose that will make a difference?


Did you ever read "Life among the Nacirema" in an anthropology class? It's a jargon filled essay much like many anthropologists wrote, describing a foreign tribe in great detail. It turns out that the writer simply had spelled the tribe's name backwards to fool us.


Here are some of the summer's photos for your enjoyment.

John and the wild Morgani at the Cotati Accordian Festival


This photo was inspired by Bob's "photos of many like objects" series.


Here's a wild accordian player.


Here I join the world's largest squeezebox band, playing Lady of Spain.



Aidan & Jeremy, the boys of summer, at the end of summer 2002.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment