Heel..toe

Barb wanted to join the gym again this year, but I talked her into a simpler, cheaper plan: switching our morning walk to the dog park into walking up the mountain across the street. OK, well, it's not a huge mountain, but it is called Mt. San Pedro, and the street goes up at quite an angle. So we have been dutifully hiking up nearly every day, and enjoying it quite a bit. We found some great new trails, some private roads to trespass on, and some very big houses with lovely vistas. One morning we crashed through a brambley trail into the back retaining wall of a super-home being built nearby. We balanced our way on the wall so that we could scramble down to the street, but found that the wall was not built very well! Several bricks dislodged themselves in the effort.

The dog has slimmed down quite nicely due to these walks. Of course, we don't seem to look any thinner. But we feel better. Except for my heel. I seem to have developed tendonitis. The pain was getting quite severe, especially when I woke up in the morning, which makes no sense at all to me. Except perhaps my body is trying to send me the message that it doesn't like getting up at 6:30 and hiking up a mountain, thank you very much.

Yesterday I took some time to read up on heel pain on the web, and found that it's best to cushion the heel and to take it slow. I bought some Dr Scholl's inserts and, believe it or not, they really have made a difference today! I can trot downstairs to the printer and back up again without looking like I am 80 years old.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

"The dog has slimmed down quite nicely due to these walks. "
That's great material. Who's your writer?

About the walk, keep it up. I never could.
» Post a Comment