Manhattan Transfer

Barb bought tickets to see Manhattan Transfer at the Herbst last night (one more birthday gift!). We both agreed that the concert is one of the best either of us has EVER attended. For one thing, the seats were incredible. There were three rows of chairs set up in the raised orchestra pit, and we were deep center, third row. Since we weren't in the first row, we didn't have to crane our necks or look up at all. Since we were in chairs, we had plenty of leg room and room to bob and sway - since we couldn't stand up and dance, which we certainly wanted to do for at least half of the show.

It was part of the SF Jazz Fest Series, which means that the audience is not the sort of crowd that gets up and dances. They are well-trained in clapping the requisite number of claps after each piano or bass solo. None the less, we were not the only ones whooping and cheering and stomping our feet.

I have been a fan of this group since 1975. As I enjoyed the show, so many memories and emotions washed over me. I remember when I was 20 and was first discovering the music of the 30s and 40s, and then Manhattan Transfer's album came out and reaffirmed that music from that era could be done in a modern, sophisticated jazzy way, by people my age. Remember, this was in the 70s, when rock and roll was king, and jazz was not mainstream as it is today. I felt again the thrill of hearing the swing songs and jazz standards, arranged in four part harmony. I remembered bonding with different songs at various times in my life. Such a legacy they have made!

The singers are still strong and vital and are consummate performers - such professionals! By the end of the show, I was filled with the music and the joy and the memories and the emotion. I was transformed and transported. We didn't want the experience to end. As the group took their bows, I mouthed to each of them, "Thank You". Thanks all of the gifts they have given me, and for yet another gift that I will always remember.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Come back ,Led Zeppelin still loves you. Foghat too!
» Post a Comment