Nor-Easter

Yesterday a huge storm blew in, with sheets of hollywood-style rain and wind that was tipping the tops of the trees down. We were snugly wrapped up on the couch, and Eve came over with Ariana, Jeremy & Aidan, and we watched the SpongeBob movie. I do enjoy SpongeBob Squarepants.

Luckily, I had mowed the lawn on Saturday, because if I hadn't, you might have confused our yard with some kind of jungle wildlife sanctuary. After cutting the grass, I saw that the backyard grass is quite blotchy. I put down some grass seed, but today I noticed that most of it had been washed away. Or perhaps the birds had a feast. Our bird count is 'way up from last year's, even though the flock of robins never did appear this year.

I also made some lamb stew.. the recipe had its beginnings in our "Real Stew" cookbook, but of course it morphed into something quite different by the time I was done. I chose lamb because of the season. It's a bit radical for me, because we do tend to cook the same basic ingredients over and over, and lamb is not on that short list. My sister said she cooked some GOAT this week, which would be momumental if we ever did that. Don't hold your breath!

Here's my recipe for lamb stew:
Heat up some olive oil (freshly pressed from Wendy & Marty's trees up in Napa) and put a bit of butter in there, too. Put in the lamb cubes and, since you didn't buy enough, you might as well put in the chicken-apple sausages, too (this turns out to be the secret ingredient and maybe the best part). Brown that, and then take the meat out and put in an onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic. After that's good and brown, you can add back the meat with the rest of the stuff - I put in some carrots and potatoes, a can of tomato paste, a lot of chardonnay that had been sitting in the fridge for some time, and some water. Salt and pepper were the only spices. Oh, except for the bay leaves. I am wondering if my bay leaves have any flavor in them at all. I have had that package for so long, and the leaves are so dried out! I don't know why I bought such a big package of them.. I'll probably have that same package the rest of my life.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment