Cost of living

Since moving to our new workplace, things have gotten quite expensive. Of course, gas prices are up to over $3/gallon, and I have been driving twice the distance I did before. The commute door to door is 15 miles, which takes about 30 minutes on normal days. The toll for the Golden Gate Bridge is $4 per trip, unless there are three in the car. My carpool partner and I thought we could avoid the toll by driving a two-seater (her Miata). However, the bridge district doesn't care if your car won't hold three people - it's three people or pay up now!

The other expense is gym membership. At the old site, we paid $75/year for gym membership. The fee for yoga was $48 for 8 classes. Here, we pay $25/month for the gym, and they announced today that yoga will cost $30 for 6 classes. Others, moved here from yet another campus, used to pay $2/class at their old gym .. so there is quite a bit of grumbling going on.

The cafeteria is a bit more expensive than the old one, but the food is better, so people aren't complaining much about that. And, they have been giving away free softserve ice cream this week, because the machine is finally functional, so that sweetens the deal even more.

Let's see, what else do I have to pay in order to get paid? I'll need more sweaters, because it's chillier in the city than in Marin. We don't get free coffee lattes in the lobby anymore - but I only developed that habit because it was free. I did buy a milk frother so that I can make a capucchino from the regular coffee in the break room. Then, I had to buy another one so that we could enjoy it at home, too!

Here a great product - a MIDI piano interface that you can dance on. Too bad the dancers in the video have such hard-soled shoes on, and that chopsticks is the best they can do!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment